The kids are always excited to ride on the train, this time no exception. Minimal fighting was observed, and they both chatted animatedly to us about what they saw out the windows. I'm always amazed at how exciting parked construction trucks, street sweepers and garbage trucks continue to be to Sam!
Of course, we have now become those Damn Suburbanites, so we were unaware that the east side of the Loop El was shut down, so we had to convince Sam that a bus ride would be just as exciting. I was more interested in watching Pete try to maintain composure as the kids touched everything and anything on the bus, which of course is a breeding ground for every germ imaginable. Don't get me wrong, they probably are, but given that we used to ride the city buses with great frequency, its fun to watch Pete switch on Daddy mode.
Since we now had time to spare, a snack break at a nearby Starbucks was in order. Pete introduced my hips and I to their pumpkin muffin while the kids knoshed on a blueberry muffin. Maddie yelled "hi" to the "pretty birdies" outside. Again, I appreciate the toddler viewpoint, as that is the last thing I'd have to say about pigeons. Thankfully we didn't have any muffin left for her to feed to them. A pair of helmeted Chicago police officers wheeled by on Segways. I'm not sure what exactly they benefit by being on a Segway - but they look funny, and they twirled in circles in front of our window to entertain the kids. Honestly, should cops have that much fun on duty?
So off to the Chicago Theater we went, briefly delayed by Maddie's discovery of the automatic door button at Loehmanns. As cameras weren't allowed in the theater, I hid mine under Maddie's blankie deep in my purse - the security guards were wise not to touch that - I have no pics of the show. However, armed with our Backyardigans shields and magic wands (Momma knew better, but Daddy is a sucker - or got suckered - into spending $30 for the pair) we were ready for the show.
Now, I'll admit, while the Backyardigans is one of the few shows the kids watch that I can enjoy watching with them, I was prepared for a cheesey show, but there was great audience involvement and the kids (and adults both) had a great time.
Back to the train station to pick up a late lunch to eat on the train, and we were off again. Maddie held up remarkably well, and entertained the lower level when she sang to her Happy Meal dolly. Both kids are exhausted and will definitely be in bed early. (Bonus)



No comments:
Post a Comment