Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Learning Welsh

As Boo's school is a Welsh school, learning the Welsh language is part of the National Curriculum.
Right now, its mostly incidental Welsh - the children are taught Welsh words as part of daily conversation (hello, goodbye), songs, labels in English/Welsh throughout the classroom, etc.

Last week, he sang "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" in Welsh to the Hubs. (The music and motions were a dead giveaway.)

Yesterday, Boo came home and sang me a song in Welsh. I have NO idea what it was about, but he was really proud of it, so I am too.

He is picking it up quite quickly, his teachers say. If children at this age are sponges, then, well, Boo is a Sham-Wow!

I fear the day that he and his friends know it well enough to speak Welsh around us non-Welsh speaking parents. We won't have a clue of what is going on!

No comments: