Well, call it stupidity, or call it bravery -- I'm making the two-day trek from Chicago to Williamsburg, VA with Sam and Maddie on my own. Armed with old DVDs, new DVDs, our trusty CD of Louie Armstrong & Duke Ellington (guaranteed to mellow out both kids - its like a Pavlovian response, hear "louie & Duke", take a nap), GPS, ear plugs (for temper tantrums) and LOTS of snacks, we made the 1st leg from Chicago to Ashland, Kentucky with a minimum of hassles.
Honestly, I'm very proud of the kids - they fared wonderfully on the first trip. Sam started the "are we there yet" about an hour into the trip. It progressed to "I want to be there in an hour" and ended with "so, if I take a nap, will the trip go faster?"
Alas, while Sam generally falls right to sleep at bedtime, Maddie has entered the "talk herself to sleep in 90 minutes - or more" phase that Sam went thru at this age. I don't expect bedtime to go well.
Next time, remind me to book at an Embassy Suites - as "sometimes it takes a closed door to keep a family together". There is something to be said about a suite (and not having to go to sleep at 7pm).
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment