Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Freedom Festival Fun


In honor of my adopted Marine, Orlando, last weekend I completed Barrington's 1st annual 9.11K run/walk with the help of Sam and Maddie (they provided the whining so I could save my breath). Yes, I pushed my 47 pounder and my 28 pounder in my 45 pound jogging stroller. No, I did not run the race (except for the occasional up hill). Yes, I did occasionally make Sam get OUT of the stroller as I ran up those hills. Mostly we walked and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

It was a cool event! The Patriot Guard was present on motorcycles to lead off the race. There were various Army and Air Force units taking part, too. It was a joint run with 250+ Army troops based down in Guatanamo Bay finishing up their race just as we started. Lots of people along the way, waving flags, holding up signs and cheering us on! At the end of the race, we first got to run thru a inflated Army camoflauge tunnel, then thru a tunnel of Patriot Riders holding flags, then the finish line, where we were met by a Veteran who handed us a commemorative coin.

Sam and Maddie then needed lots of gatorade, bagels and bananas to recover from their arduous run. It takes a lot of energy to yell "Mommy, why aren't you running", and "run faster, Mommy, FASTER".

I survived, and I'm pretty darn proud of my out of shape 40yr old body, which of course screamed in pain for the following few days as I felt pain in muscles I wasn't aware I had. I'm sending my race number, one of the flags the kids waved throughout the race, some info on the festival and a race coin to my Marine...

I hope he appreciates it as much as I do!!!!

No comments: