Friday, September 05, 2008

Beach Week

(Ed. Note: In reviewing my original entry from the other night, I realized that it read more like a cheesy family Christmas newsletter - which very few people can actually write and make it interesting - instead of a blog entry, so I claim my right to do a 2nd draft. Anne Lamotte wrote in "Bird by Bird" about being entitled to a shitty first draft - well, unfortunately, I published mine. My apologies, dear reader.)

We've just returned from our fifth family trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Its more remarkable to believe that this was our third trip with Maddie - where has the time gone, honestly? This also marked a new passage in our vacation tradition - we drove instead of flying, despite the fact that Pete said I'd be welcome to drive, so long as I picked him up at the airport as I drove past Norfolk, as he was NEVER driving. (What is that they say about never saying never? I think I say that to Sam at least 4 times a day.)


This is Maddie on the beach, on a bad day. What happened to my little beach girl of last year, fearlessly running into the waves, chasing birds, chasing crabbies? Is this the same girl who sat in the sandbox this summer, pouring sand over her head, singing to herself "I love the beach"?
It seems little sisters look to their bigger siblings for reactions, and Sam is not fond of the beach, himself. Getting him to walk on the sand is a true test of patience - you walk a fine line betwlleen encourangement, and outright pushing. Push my little man too hard, and he shoves back.

Eventually, every morning, Maddie would realize, I think, that Sam was full of shit, and that the beach IS fun. And she would build a sandcastle with Pete, or let me carry her into the water. (And don't think for a minute that Pete and I, water lovers both, weren't breathing a huge sigh of relief...) She still had a fascination with her "crabbies" and took to carrying around HER crabbie and showing him to the little, scurrying kind.

Sam, on the other hand, had another difficult year. The surf is too loud, the sand is too sandy. However, add a kite to the mix, and we can distract him from these intrusions. I sent Sam and Daddy on an afternoon adventure to buy our first real kite at Kitty Hawk Kites. Sam returned with a train kite. What could be better for a little boy and his dad???
Now, this is one of the rare photos of Momma on the beach. Why do you ask? Well, (1) because I'm the one usually taking pictures, and (2) my husband typically can't manage to take a picture of me only from the waist up. (And preferably from the chest up, thank you Miss Maddie.) Two C-sections does not a pretty photo make, and lets just leave it at that.) Maddie basically had perma-lock around my waist with her legs while we were there, and I have to say, that bit about being weightless in the water apparently didn't apply to Little Bit, as she got heavy after a while. However, she fully enjoyed "riding the waves" as Sam came to call what we did when we carried them into the surf, and jumped over incoming waves. Maddie is fearless, Sam more hesitant but growing braver every day. Just check out the waves below!!!

Aside from our time in the water (and Pete and I did manage to get a fair amount of time in the water this year, with many thanks to Gmom Phyllis, Marty, and my Mom and Dad), we had much more time this year to enjoy the little things - sitting at the table with OUR parents (and Marty, Sam and Maddie's adopted grandfather) peeling fresh steamed shrimp and poking fun at each other, sitting on the deck with a cold beer and enjoying each other's company, watching the sunrises with Sam (Ok, this was mostly Sam and Pete), eating way more Utz Crab Chips than is probably acceptable for my cholesterol issues. But they are all part of special memories and traditions we are building with each other, and for the kids. (Including Grandpa Jim on his 'puter and Grandma Judi's birthday cake, which she doesn't like but we get for the sake of the kids.)

There's a lot to be said for family traditions, big and small.

(And for fresh steamed shrimp and cold beer!)

No comments: