Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The closing of a cold holiday

This December has been an odd weather month to be sure. We've already received more snow and truly cold days than I can ever remember seeing in December.

Last weekend we were hit with a sudden warm up (nearly 50 degrees) and a couple inches of rain after seeing more than a foot of snow about a week early. All the rain combined with a fast melt led to seepage in the basement. Hello, Shop Vac.

The next day? 36 degrees.
A dusting of snow last night, and today? About 25 degrees, and windy.

Today we braved the cold for another holiday tradition we have with the kids - the "Winter Wonderland" train exhibit at the Chicago Botanic Garden. I don't care what age you are: the model trains, Chicago landmarks crafted out of natural materials, pine-scented air from the myriad of trees, flowering plants and poinsettas decorating the displays, and fake snow gently falling from above - its magical!

Tonight we'll sit down together for the final family meal of 2008. Sam will lead the blessing, we'll toast wine glasses to milk glasses, and wish each other a Happy New Year. I never fail to be amazed at these two wonderful, infuriating, clever little people we have seen grow from tiny babies into their own personalities. 2009 holds nothing but hope and possibility.

I wish you, too, a 2009 full of wonder, peace, good health, possibility and joy!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Our December was rather mild...that is okay though.

Hope that your New Year is being filled with many blessings.

I found you over at Twitter Moms.

Feel free to stop by and say hello at my blog as well! Nice to meet you! :)