Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Historically, I have not been one for New Year's Resolutions - keeping them, that is. Oh, I gamely make a list, but if I have something I really want to accomplish, I usually wait until Lent - 'cause as you know, give up something (or take up something) for 40 days, and you can form/break a habit. The "this year I will" is too vague for me, but Lent is manageable.


However, I still like to make a list - and then I have something to work with for Lent. And I'll be honest, I LOVE making lists. So here goes, in no particular order:


1. Take a knitting (or crocheting) class- finally. I started a pair of mittens when Sam was 8 months old. They are not finished. I really need to go to a class, where I can get help immediately. I'm tired of unravelling and starting over in frustration.


2. Lose 20 pounds. I lost 16 on Weight Watchers in 2007, and gained much back in 2008. My cholesterol has been high since I had Maddie, so I really have to regain control. See my hipbones again - lets just keep it simple!


3. Get organized. Oprah had a show which stated your external environment was a reflection of your internal mindset. If that is the case, then that explains why I'm so disorganized. I was never like this before I had kids - I was extremely efficient...Clutter really sends me into sensory overload...

3.5 (as this goes hand in hand with getting organized) - regain my self-discipline. Part of the problem with organization is that I let myself get distracted from the task at hand, and get caught up in something else.


4. Be the best mommy to my kids that I can be. Which means using 3 and 3.5 to find more time to spend with them individually and together; to find creative ways to get Sam to practice guitar, instead of nagging; to yell less and praise and acknowledge more...


5. Try one new recipe a week. I'm bored with my menus. We eat healthy, as a rule, but when I am uninspired I tend to fall back on prepackaged foods.


6. Get back to the gym on a regular basis. 'nuf said there. Look at #2.


7. Learn to work the sewing machine my mom bought me. I can't figure the thing out, and I have lots of ideas...


8. Throw out my old makeup. Some of the lipstick in there dates back to my single days. Ugh. When it tastes weird, its time to go...


9. Learn to love my hair. It will never likely be long again, and no shampoo, conditioner or hair product will actually make it shinier or fuller. Time to toss the excess "product" cluttering up the bathroom, and instead celebrate the fact that I'm not on a first name basis with my colorist, as at 40 I'm just now finding my first gray hairs...


and, because I like nice round numbers:


10. Create a "vision board" to hang over my kitchen desk to keep me focused on what I want to accomplish!

No comments: