Saturday, December 19, 2009

An afternoon in Hay

Today I was given some free time to head into town and pick up some cellophane to wrap up the Hub's Christmas baskets for his management team. (I swear, if it wasn't for the wives, the Husband's Christmases would never happen.) Thank you, Hay Flower Shop, for saving the day.

Popped into the butcher for chicken (and a chat about flat iron steaks), into H.L. Harris across the street for some Welsh cakes for Boo (ok, for me, but I'll share) and another lovely chat. One last stop into the Greengrocer for some potatoes and herbs (oh, and some of those apples for applesauce), a friendly chat about new wines.

Check. Check. Check and check.

Errands done and a few last gifts needed, I wandered in and out of shops I don't normally go into (or haven't yet). All busy. Crowded. People happily shopping, clerks complaining about too many £20 bills. Husbands shopping for wives with their daughters "That's too young for Mum, Dad - but can you buy ME this?" Happy sounds, surprisingly, no one cranky, grouchy, pushing or rushing.

Such a pleasure!

Bags, food and poinsetta back in the car (its 0C at this point, I think the chicken will be fine for a minute) and I stop for a scone and coffee. Ruminate over the fact that, while perhaps not the clothes shops or restaurants, at least some people recognize me as a local and have a few kind words. Makes the place feel a bit more like home each day.

No comments: