Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Bridging the Gap

The past few weeks I've ventured out and about more, finally realizing that I actually do have time to do so. What has struck me over and over is the old adage "things are same the world over".

Case in point is a few snarky mums at my school. I will admit that 98% of the mums I've met have been at the very least friendly, and I've even gotten past the "hi-ya, you good?" greeting with quite a few of them as the time has passed. I've met a few girlies who hopefully will prove to be good friends.

But, just like high school, there is always a few bullies in the pack. Mind you, they've never said anything incorrect to me - they rarely speak to me. But another mum I've met here, who is English but not local, well, she has had to tolerate a barrage of snarky comments about being an outsider, yada yada, outsiders kids don't belong in their school, yada yada. My friend is a delightful, tall, pretty, and intelligent woman - and my initial reaction was "why do you care what they think? I don't think I'd want to be friends with them."

But after further thought I admitted to myself that I don't like it when people don't like me, and when I meet one of these people, my insecurity - er- stubbornness wants me to MAKE them like me. So I get where she is coming from.

I can only imagine what they say about me when I'm not around, since I'm from. Another. Country. A true foreigner. (Gasp)

Not that I care. Really. Because, if you really must know, I've met as many transplants here as I've met locals, and some of the transplants are really quite eccentric. In comparison, I'm really quite dull and ordinary.

That said...please say you like me, you really, really like me!

No comments: