I'm so used to overaggressive salespeople in the US pouncing on you the minute you walk in the door that shopping in the UK has taken some adjustment. Normally accosted when entering a shop (especially a boutique), I was initially taken aback when I walked in and around clothing shops and was completely ignored.
Its really quite disturbing, and I'll be honest, my fragile ego took it quite personally.
Even more amusing was listening to ladies in the dressing room at M&S returning unwanted clothing items to the dressing room attendant: they were very apologetic about why they weren't the returned pieces with them.
Overheard yesterday: "oh, its really quite lovely, really, its just me that doesn't fit the dress".
Another woman apologized to the clerk, saying "oh, I really liked it, but the size is actually smaller than on the hanger. I'm so sorry" (and not in a disappointed "i'm so sorry" way, but more in a humble "I didn't do it" kind of way.)
Coming from a marketing background, I still think that there could be some perfect balance between the American attack salesperson and the British "I'm having a cup of tea now, dearie, quickly, before it gets cold" aloof saleslady.
In the meantime, I'm trying to adjust to the local ways and enjoy shopping in peace! (And hope I don't have to ask for another size.) In the meantime, there is always the internet!
Wednesday, December 09, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment