Sunday, April 26, 2009

Body Fat

Earlier this year, we joined a new fitness center. Part of the membership package was a fitness assessment, which would allow the fitness staff to program a workout for us on their FittLinx system. If you aren't familiar with it, you log into the system and at each piece of weight equipment, it will tell you the seat settings, weight setting and number of repititions and sets. Rather handy, and I don't have to make small talk with a personal trainer.

Needless to say, the fitness assessment checks your strength, flexibility, cardiovascular capacity - and the dreaded body fat composition. (I say dreaded because I am in a perpetual battle with my post-baby body. Never mind that said baby is now three years old.) For my husband, the body fat thing was a breeze.

Bastard.

Now, I'll be honest with y'all - I know I need to lose weight. Just ask my Levis - you can hear them scream in pain before I even put them on. Thank goodness for stretch denim...

However, the old scale has nothing on the Tanita Body Composition Monitor. The scale will tell you, sure friend, you're a bit overweight. The Tanita, on the other hand, will tell you exactly how much of your weight is fat weight and how much is lean weight.

It will also give you a further breakdown on the composition of your individual parts: arms, legs, and trunk. At least, Pete was given this breakdown. My fitness trainer did manage to keep a straight face as I stepped on, but I'm guessing she wanted to spare me additional pain, so I didn't get that nifty little souvenir to take home.

Her only response? "I think we need to work on getting that number down."

No shit.

So, if you are looking for me over the next few months, I'll be at the gym, running on the dreadmill, lifting weights, doing yoga, or at the Marsh, jogging (gasping, crying). I will NOT be at the Dairy Queen, Dunkin' Donuts, or Culvers, sadly.

Please be kind to me. I'm going to be in serious comfort food withdrawal. (read: raving bitch)

But, hopefully, I'll be a skinny bitch!

No comments: