Friday, May 14, 2010

Football boy (or, Boy, Unscheduled)

Boo joined the local "under 7's" football team here in Hay. Since he's not getting exposure to the sports he would typically play in the US - American football, t-ball, basketball or even his gymnastics classes - we've probably been more enthusiastic about his playing football than he is, because we want him to be comfortable with one sport when we eventually move back.

We also want him to be able to get out and have fun with his friends! (Which is what he is really doing, since he usually doesn't actually touch the football during the matches.)

I know if we were back in the States, he'd only be in half-day kindergarden.

And I'd be running the Mom-taxi from activity to activity.

Which, to be honest, exhausts me thinking about the schedule we kept back home...
So, while I get a little niggle every now and then that he isn't taking guitar lessons any more (which he was doing - fighting the practicing, but liking the results) and he's not taking gymnastics lessons (which he loved, despite the fact that the coach told me that he has tons of positive attitude but no real aptitude) - he's getting what WE had growing up - an unfettered childhood, where the only thing to do after school is go to the park with his mates, or play in the backyard with the hose and his imagination.

And I think that's a pretty cool thing, too.

No comments: