Wednesday, September 02, 2009

First Day of School: the update

After a relaxing and yet nervewracking morning (I think I was half waiting for a phone call from the school saying that Pea had melted down), I waited at the gate for the preschoolers to be brought out.


When her teacher brought her out with a whispered ("she did great"), I was rewarded with her customary after-school grin-and-squeezy hug combo that I am used to back home.

"How was your day?" I asked. "Good", she replied.

"Did you have fun?" "Yup", she responded.

"Did you make any friends?" I asked. "No, no fwends" she said.

And that was the end of that.

Her other teacher, after bringing out another preschooler, stopped to say that she did great, but hadn't eaten her dinner "but it was curry, so..." and added that she did eat her pudding. (No surprise there.)

Returning home, she ate, and ate, and ate, singing and dancing along with "Beauty and the Beast" (the Disney video, not the Linda Hamilton/Ron Perlman reruns, also shown on Sky here.)

At 3ish, we left to pick up Boo. Straight out of the chute, he was grumpy and snappish. (Read: exhausted.) I asked him if he still wanted ice cream. "Yes, but my LEGS. ARE. TIRED. I had THREE recesses today, MOM."

Sticking on his jumper was a sticker. He said his teacher gave it to him at the end of the day "because I did everything right: I did what I was supposed to, and I was a good listener". What great encouragement for a new kid on his first day at a new place. I'm so proud of him! (yet, oddly, the more he snapped at me, the more I was tempted to tear it off his shirt. but that would be very childish of me, and ONE of us has to be the grown up. Still, he was a grumpy grump...)

The aforementioned ice cream cone was devoured so quickly, I wonder if he even tasted it. Thinking about the curry served at lunch, I asked "How was lunch?" to which he quickly retorted "I want to pack a lunch tomorrow!".

"How was lunch?" I asked again. I'm not giving up - I'm too curious!

"There were peas and carrots. I didn't eat them. I did eat the rice, and the chicken and sauce."

"The curry?" I prompted. "Yeah, I ate that - it was good. But I'm hungreeeeeee". I made a mental note to feed him more at breakfast, then congratulated him for trying something new.

You have to give him credit - curry on the first day of school is about as foreign to his diet as you can get, and he handled it well.

It took until dinner time to pry more info out of him, but basically, his first school friend is the OTHER Sam, he played "Agent Hamster" with Sam and a bunch of 2nd year boys (basically, he and Sam ran and the bigger kids tried to catch them. Still, the name is a bit weird and disconcerting). They sang "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" in english, and then in Welsh. He said he really liked it....but...

at bedtime, he said he didn't like going all day. He told the Hubs that he missed Mommy (awwww), and he missed his toys. He missed Ox, too.

I missed him today, and agreed to take Ox with me in the car when we go pick him up tomorrow, because, honestly, I think Boo is super, too.

No comments: