We have been waiting for a fridge/freezer to be delivered for about 3 weeks now - that's how long we are waiting, not the length of time in which is was ORDERED. Our first fridge selection was delayed, and then delayed again, and then we were told it would be ready - sometime in September - early or late, they couldn't say.
So off I march to the appliance store to pick out another fridge. After comparisons, remeasuring the kitchen space, and double-checking availabilities, we finally found a model that was suitable and apparently in stock.
I sit patiently, all day on Friday, and no fridge. Messages left asking when it would come, more calls and I finally talk to someone at the store - surprise, it wasn't on the truck the day before, and the owner was so busy yelling at Hotpoint he had forgotten to tell me. You see, Hotpoint couldn't tell tell them where the fridge, which was supposed to be on the truck, actually got to. They didn't seem too interested in looking into it, either, much to the frustration of our kindly fridge salesman.
However, I can hardly be upset at the owner for this, for he was so obviously agitated with the Hotpoint people. And, honestly, he has won the gold medal for customer service for cleaning out the mini fridge they keep in the back of the shop and lending it to us.
Our temporary fridge looks something like this (but more crowded):

It really has been a lesson in planning and frugality. We can only keep the necessities, there isn't much room for leftovers, so they get eaten straightaway, and there is no waste, really, because you simply can't overbuy.
Still, its a bit of a challenge for a family of four, and I'm a bit too American - I would like to see an ice cube sometime soon, and they kids look longingly at the ice cream in the freezer section of the market.
So on we wait, dreaming of ice cubes in my diet coke, ice cream in the freezer and wine chilling in the fridge.



No comments:
Post a Comment