Saturday, August 01, 2009

Deep Thoughts from a Kindergardener

Late the other night, as I snuggled with Boo at bedtime, he asked me "where do people go when they die? I mean, they go to Heaven, but what is Heaven like?"

Before I could even ask, he asked "are Coco and Bubbles there?" (my brother's and parents' dogs, respectively.)

And again, as I started to answer, he hit me with the tough one: "What do people DO in Heaven?"

Um. Er. Yup.

One really doesn't want to get into a deep theological conversation with a 5 year old when its two hours past his bedtime, but I was pretty fascinated by his thought process. I mean, when I was 5, I was maybe thinking about my Crissy doll or rub-a-dub dolly - not death, heaven and reincarnation.

Yes, reincarnation. I don't know WHO Boo had been talking to or what prompted his thoughts that evening, but his next comment was "you know, some people think that when you die you get re-in-carnated. Why? What do you do?"

Needless to say, we had an interesting conversation about what he thought ("it would be funny to come back as a dog", as well as "what IS our soul"). So kudos to his preschool and Sunday Schoo and whatever they are talking to the kids about - they are making him THINK and ask questions, and I think they are great!

I just wish the Hubs was there that evening, so I could have said "Go ask Daddy!"

3 comments:

Mama4Real said...

My four year old is starting to ask questions like that. It's so hard sometimes to answer in a way they will understand. Then they ask the questions that I just don't know the answers to... *sigh*

I found you very randomly through hashtags on twitter #lookingonthebrightside
and noticed the STELLAN on your forehead ;) Hi:)

Momma Sunshine said...

Childrens' thought processes are so amazing sometimes. My four and a half year old mentions death a lot for some reason...I have no idea where that comes from. She seems to be a deep thinker...

Jenn B said...

my mother-in-law says this is a typical thing for 4-5 year olds.
It doesn't help me with the deeper questions, though.

Welome, Mama4Real!