Thursday, August 13, 2009

The First 48 Hours

Being so far behind on the blog, here is a quick update of our first 48 hours....

Our flight over was generally uneventful, and the kids fared really well. They watched Bob the Builder, Fireman Sam and Rubbadubbers until 10:30. Pete managed to get Boo to wear an eyemask; he went right out. Overtired Pea needed to snuggle on Mommy's shoulder (of course) so I buckled us both in (in case I actually managed to fall asleep, which I did not). When she did finally fall asleep, I put her back in her seat, where she snuggled in, and I was able to rebuckle her in. She slept the rest of the flight, straight thru the landing - and deplaning. She was out!!!

Since we had two kids with messed up body clocks and a 3 hour drive ahead of us, we opted to stay at the Heathrow Airport Hilton the first day. Figuring we needed to keep them busy AND tire them out, we took the kids to the pool. Boo and Pete swam for three hours, but Pea tuckered out after 2, and was begging for a nap by 4pm. We ordered room service (no attempting a restaurant with Pea in this state) and all were in bed at 7pm.

Surprisingly, both kids stayed awake for the drive to Hay. Boo was elated to point out every John Deere Case tractor he saw, as well as any and every construction equipment and car carrier.

I also received confirmation that I need an automatic. The roads approaching Hay are hilly and twisty, and over every hill they yelled "Wheeeee". I think Howard, the driver, was tickled and I'm pretty certain he was speeding up over the hills just to hear them yell.

Yesterday they (thankfully) dragged me out of the house to walk to the Cusop playing field. Only a few doors down, it has a metal slide, and few ride on things (the bouncy kind) and a soccer pitch. While it isn't as big as the parks they are used to playing in, they are delighted with it!

After that, they had to show me "their" footpath bridge. About 1/4 mile up the Dingle, we turn down a side street, (stop so Pea can admire the pink cottage - "isn't it sooo pretty") and onto a path to a stone footbridge that crosses the creek. A bit more up the path, past two lone cottages is a field gate. Thru that gate and thru the first field, thru a second safety gate, and thru the sheep field - and you are at the car park in town. Boo is in his glory - he loves it. He was running through the fields as fast as I would let him. He told Pete yesterday: 'Daddy, I'm really good at this travel thing. I'm not jet lagged at all any more."

All in all, packing, shopping, learning new appliances - I'm on brain overload. But its all wonderful, and magical, really. Pictures to follow soon.

No comments: