Being away from the US for 3 months now, I've come to realize that the things that I miss aren't those that I had expected, so it puts a bit of a twist on the things I should have been thankful for:
- Window screens. For a country where A/C isn't really a common thing (if at all), why there are no screens on the windows is something that has me perpetually mystified. I vaccuum up a lot of dead flies. I'm just sayin'...
- Sticks o' butter. Yes, you don't think about those little tablespoon markings on your stick o' butter (or margarine, for that matter). BUT...what would you do if I took all that away from you. Exactly how would you back those cookies? Well, you'd go buy a scale, cut some, cut some more, (dammit, too much) put some back....and basically screw up your recipe anyway.
- The plethora of fat-free products available to us. Damn, but I miss my La Tortilla Factory wraps. Honestly, I'm still not sure how I would begin to do Weight Watchers here, even though they do sell WW products at the Co-op.
- Pay at the pump. Granted, I don't get too many converations with people, so getting out of the car and chatting with the gal at the local station is often the high point of my day, but its a convenience I got used to. Its a totally foreign concept, at least locally.
- Radio. Ok, yes, they have radio here, but what you don't find is format-driven (for lack of a better term) programming. No country music on US-99. No classic rock on WXRT. On BBC Radio 1, I can hear all of the Jay-Z, club music, and other stuff that makes me feel like an out-of-date ancient I want to hear. Although, they did play Bon Jovi once last week...
Still, there are many things about living here that I AM thankful for:
- The local butcher. To be fair, we had a good butcher back home, but even there, the meat was individually shrink-wrapped. The meat here is amazing, and if you want a tenderloin, they haul out a major piece, and, butcher knife poised at the ready, ask you how much you want.
- The security measures on my credit card. The micro chip on the back, the pin number, as well as the additional secret code I need to input when I use it online - makes me feel much better when I use my card. Unlike back in the States, where clerks rarely looked at the signatures, much less asked for ID. Every time I use it, I marvel that we don't have the same in the US.
- Good schools. Now, speaking to a friend from Northern Ireland, Wales ranks last after N. Ireland, Scotland and England in quality of education, but I'm very pleased with the kids' progress. Boo is reading. He is writing sentences. He has quickly picked up writing in lowercase, despite the fact that he had not yet been formally taught to do so. And both kids are learning Welsh, and loving it. Actually, both kids love going to school - Pea gets upset when the weekend comes and she doesn't get to see her fwends.
- More active kids. While the kids can get busy when they are older, for the most part, they are not overscheduled here. What I do see is a lot more outdoor playtime, just like when we were growing up, and Mom said "get outside and run off some of that energy". (Well, she said that to my sister. I was probably curled up in the corner with a book....) And play outside they do, even when it is drizzling a little. Usually in the sandbox. (I cannot imagine what the classroom looks like by the end of the day after 9 damp, sandy boys come in from the sand pit). Pea even gets more outside time at school than I am used to - and they wear her out completely.
- The longer school year. I should say it is because it is good for the kids - it is - hey, but I'm a mom. We get a few more term breaks, but really - 6 weeks summer holiday? Even I can manage that!
- Skype. I can keep up with my family (and sometimes friends). Sitting on the sofa, in front of the computer, actually forces you to focus on the conversation, vs multitasking on the phone, as I would have been at home.
- The local area. It is stunning, especially on a sunny day. I should also add sunshine to that list. Because I'm seeing it less and less often.
- An opportunity to grow/experience new things. Its good for the kids. Both kids are eating new things (peer pressure and school lunches are a great combination). They are learning a new language, and will get to travel internationally. Its good for the Hubs - the work is challenging and he enjoys it. And it is forcing me WAY outside of my comfort zone. WAY. Outside. But that is ok.
Yes, I'm thankful for the big things: health, family, having a roof over my head and clothing on my back. But somedays, it is the little things that you are really, truly thankful for.



No comments:
Post a Comment