(When she is teething, she has a tendancy to chew on the bink, creating a tear in it and rendering it too dangerous to use.)
Upon reaching home, Daddy threw away the binkie as he had (thought that) they had agreed upon. Maddie was obviously not happy, and continued to dig through the garbage for Pink Binkie. The wails were earsplitting, and she would not be pacified (ha ha) by the remaining orange or green binkies.
Now, I'm not heartless and I know how, um, particular she has become in many ways - one being very specific about her choice of binkie for the day. I also realize that, to some, 2-1/2 is too old for a binkie. However, Maddie is still cutting her last two 2-year molars, and it could take many more months for them to come in. The dentist says the binkie is not harmful and its ok to let her have it a while longer. And lets face it, she's still little - do I have to take away something that gives so much comfort?
Pete thought that the color requirement was ridiculous, and he wasn't pandering to it (I agree) as a binkie is a binkie (ah - he doesn't know his daughter well enough here.) In any case, it wouldn't be a huge issue except for the fact that at ANY minute, we had a babysitter coming - and she would be spending the night while we went to a family wedding. I was cringing at the thought of leaving this poor woman with a hysterical, unable to be calmed Maddie.
However, Maddie surprised us yet again! Talking to the sitter later that evening, she said Maddie refused the other binkies and napped without it, and she went to bed, again refusing the evil green binkie if the pink was not available!
Shockingly, she made it through the night, and naps yesterday and bedtime last night without the binkie. I'm shocked, pleased, and a bit sad. My baby is growing up....
A few parting binkie shots...



No comments:
Post a Comment