Saturday, February 28, 2009

The not-so-unbreakable Sam

Sam can be, well, shall we say, a tad bit melodramatic at times.

So when he fell OUT of the minivan - parked in the garage, I was not shoving him out the door as we rolled by preschool - and cried because his arm hurt, I wasn't surprised that he put up a fuss.

A major fuss. Despite only a tiny scratch on his wrist.
There was no swelling, no bruising.

While he slept peacefully, the next morning was the start of a new day of fussing and whining. He was now holding his hand very still. I'm still skeptical, of course -- this is the same boy who limped for 4 days because of the band-aid on his knee. It hurt, you know. (Not the scrape, it was that band-aid, the universal source of pain and evil.)

However, while waiting for Boo's classroom to open, I was chatting about it with a fellow parent, who shared a story of waiting 4 days before finally taking their boy in, only to discover it was a green-stick fracture.



When I came to pick him up, his teacher says "No problems today, and no complaints" -- just as Sam moaned as he put on his coat. Teacher rolls eyes.

I drove to Urgent Care. (Hey, he knows what the hospital looks like.)
He was asking "what place IS this, Mommy" as the doors opened.

He stops dead in his tracks. "I am NOT going to have an X-RAY. NO XRAYS. THEY HURT!"
While the receptionist amusedly asks, "do we need an X-ray today?" (Sam yelling NO WAY in the background), another head pops up from behind another window - a hopeful face, saying "Xrays don't hurt". Yes - meet the bored radiologist.

Long story short, after much fussing over the xray, which suddenly became very cool, Sam has a fractured distal radius. In other words, he broke his arm. Since we were at Urgent Care, there wasn't an Orthopedic doc on site, so they set us up with a partial cast for the weekend until we could get an appointment for a hard cast.

Sadly, Sam was very much looking forward to his cousin's pool party in St. Louis - with this cast, he couldn't swim in the pool. However, he did survive the weekend (more on that later) and on Monday, was rewarded with a waterproof cast in his very favorite color: red.

He's doing great, and milking that cast as an excuse to get help doing everything he is too lazy to attempt on his own.

No comments: