Friday, January 15, 2010

Monday, all day, on a Thursday

Lots of snow, uncleared roads.

ASDA cancels my grocery delivery, now there is no food in the house that will make an actual meal. (Yes, Kristy, we could have cereal for dinner - Pea often does. It provides a nice break from hot dogs, which we also have.)

I drag (literally, whining and fussing) the kids to the grocery store - an unpleasant trip when they are in a good mood, but when the don't want to go? Torturous.

Halfway there, my car sounds - odd. Hmmm. Not quite a snow sound, slippy when I shouldn't be. Oh, shit.

Yup, flat tire. Yes, I've had the car, what, not even three months?

A flat tire, after the UKs has had its worst snowstorms in over 30 years? I'm sure the wait wont be long (snort). "Hello RAC - sure I'll wait THREE hours for you to come. "

I take the kids in to the grocery store, then realize I should just take them home (carrying Pea all the way, I'm sure), leave them with a neighbor, and walk back.

Resigned, I head to the door (again) and one of the store workers (a nice lad who I'd cornered, earlier, trying to figure out the postal code for the store) tracked me down by the sound of my whining kids and said they would change my tire.

I'm speechless. Yes, please! They manage, I'm happy. Boo is fascinated by the jack, and the donut of a tire my car now sports. They won't take any money, just a "we're just happy you shop here".

Ok, so now I can't even complain when they are out of english muffins!!! I can deal with that.
Woo hoo. My luck is improving!

Until I try to call back roadside assistance, and discover my phone has run out of minutes while waiting on hold. Grrr.

I give up. Back we go into the Co-op. I'm lighter on my feet.

My kids are now bears. Not the cute, cuddly stuffed kind. The mean, waking-up-in-spring-from-a-long-winters nap-and-I'm-hungry kind of bear. She pokes him when he gets to close to the cart. He pokes her when I'm not looking. I'm speed throwing food into the cart. I gave Boo a list to keep him occupied and not fighting. I think he improvised, but it helped.

At checkout, I discover I have extra crisps (Boo) and biscuits (Boo, with Pea's direction) and I don't really care. I just want to get home.

Or at least out of the store.

How do YOU manage your kids in such situations? My coping skills are fine when I'M not seriously pissed off or overwhelmed. But today, man, it was just like big shit sandwich after another.

I'm always open to suggestions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woo Hoo! I made the blog! And it just so happens I had cocoa wheats for supper 3 times last week. :-)