Thursday, January 07, 2010

Snow in Chicago is not like Snow in Wales

Yes, the snow is white in both places. Yes, it still falls from the sky. Yes, you can build snowmen out of it.

But....

In Chicago, there are plows. Here in Cusop, the cars just flatten out the snow.

In Chicago, sidewalks are shoveled. Here in Cusop, peoples feet walking (because they can't drive on the road, because it isn't plowed) flatten the snow.*

*Unless, of course, you consider our short drive, which has been shoveled by Boo and his boy-sized plastic shovel.

In Chicago, we would grumble because the roads are so bad, climb into our minivans and SUVs, and struggle down the road. Here, people just pull on their wellies and their snow hats, load the littler ones in strollers or sleds, and get walking.

In Chicago, the salt trucks hit the road before the snow starts, here, they spread a bit of grit, and deliver grit or salt to the box up the road. You go get some and spread it yourself.

In Chicago, I would open my garage door and start the car, so it would be warm when the kids got in. Here, I pry open my frozen doors, pray the battery on my hybrid keeps running so that the car will warm up, then scrape the windows. Outside, and inside.

In Chicago, we grumble about the snow, and keep moving. Here, we raid the grocery stores, emptying the shelves of bread, eggs and milk, and hunker down. (Jill, I finally get what you deal with in Southern Illinois.)

In Chicago, if the snow was on the ground, the kids wouldn't be allowed outside for recess without snowpants and snowboots. Here, everyone goes outside to play, no matter the weather - snow, rain, and I've seen kids outside with weather in the 30s and no coats.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking it here. I'm thinking that those Chicago weathers I've endured have made me soft!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with the going out to play. Kids here have to be bundled up like snowmen to be allowed outside. I sent Matthew outside the other day in 8 inches of snow in tennis shoes because the doofus left his boots, hat and gloves in Uncle Dutch's car so they are now in Georgia (where they don't get real snow).

As for the rest...I'll take the plow trucks and salt any day!!!!!

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha... that is funny!

Here in northern Canada if is anything better than freeze-your-ass-off cold, and less than piles of snow to blindly drive thru, we are happy happy happy.

Not sure if you are soft from Chicago, or just appreciate the services they have!

Jenn B said...

I'll admit it, I'm completely spoiled in Chicago.

I have also learned that people here are encouraged to NOT shovel, because....if other people think the path is safe because it is cleared, and they fall, they can sue you. Ditto for spreading the grit that is left for you - places in the UK are asking people to not spread grit on the road unless they have the proper liability insurance!!!

And they call the US a litigious nation!!!