You know, we've worked really, really hard at trying to teach respect here.
We don't put up with back talking, and my kids are in a close, personal relationship with the naughty chair.
Still, I'm a slow learner some days. Mostly when it comes to semantics. You see, its all a question of semantics when it comes to the 5yo.
Case in point:
This morning, he is at the table, kicking the chair. Its driving me crazy, so I tell him he needs to stop.
"I'm not doing it, Mommy - its Maddie", he says, AS HE KICKS THE CHAIR.
I'm standing right here. In front of him. Watching him.
"Sam, I can see you doing it. Do you think I'm stupid?????"
(Perfect example of not picking my words wisely)
"Um, yes Mommy".
Off to the naughty chair he goes. (Yes, I love SuperNanny. Can you tell? Be good be good...)
Now, yes, he did deserve a bit of time out for the lip, but why in the world didn't I say "Do you think I can't see you?" Because that is what I meant to say. Its amazing what frustration and impatience does to your brain.
Mommies, a word of advice: its not in what you ask but in HOW you ask the question.
At least it is in our house.....
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment