Sunday, March 29, 2009

Where the heck did Spring go? (Florida, I guess)

I really need to start paying more attention. Granted, the kids have been sick, I'm sick (sinus and ear infections, thank you), and Pete has been gearing up for a week-long trip to Wales (thus I've been switching to survival mode), so the weather channel has not been a top priority for me.

Yes, I did hear my neighbor's comment "at least he'll get out before the snow hits". Did I pay attention? No. (Ok, to be honest, I in her kitchen, watching my driveway across the street as the locksmith went back to his car again and again for more tools to get my back door open. But I digress...)

Last night, I listened to the rain/sleet pound on the roof, and went to sleep hoping the power stayed on so my sump pump would stay operational. The bushes around the front door were ice-coated, and there was some residual snow/sleet dusting the bricks around the front steps.


So in no way was I prepared to wake up to this:


Or this:


And yes, THIS is my driveway, which now needs to be cleared. And this is not light, fluffy snow - this is the heavy, wet, heart-attack-inducing snow.



And this, dear friends, was wishful thinking, I suppose:


Granted, it is beautiful. Outside, it is blissfully silent, in the way that snow muffles sounds.

Yes, I have lived (nearly) all my life in Illinois.
Yes, I should expect this. (Please don't lecture me.)

But, c'mon people, its almost April! And haven't we had to listen to Al Gore drone on and on AND ON about global warming?
Ok, Mother Nature - I'm begging you: send Spring back to Chicago.
We promise we won't complain about the heat, mosquitos as big as robins, ragweed, or road construction - all the signs of summer here.
In the meantime, I hear whining breaking out, so I'm going to pop in a Madagascar DVD, load the kids up with sippies and snack traps, dress myself like Yukon Cornelius and head outside for some blissful quiet...er...manual labor.
So I can go get some donuts.

2 comments:

musingwoman said...

That is the exact same question I asked today! Maybe Mother Nature's playing an early April Fools joke on us.

Unknown said...

The photo of the spring banner covered in ice has caused me to cough, sneeze and possibly pee all at the same time. We sound equally sick, so just having to wake up to that while you're so so so ill...well...it makes me feel a little better over here knowing that I'm not alone!
www.suchasoutherngirl.wordpress.com