Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Flashback Moment (or, Am I Really That Old?)

They say you are only as old as you feel. Well, if that is the case, mentally, I'm still about 33. Yes, that sounds like the age when I stopped, well, feeling older. (Physically however, there are days after chasing kids and battling whines that I feel every bit my 40 years.)

A fellow Facebooker just posted that WXRT has been talking about & playing music from 1986 - the year he (and I) graduated from high school just as he was driving past his high school -not the one I graduated from, by the way. Someone else followed his comment with a post that they were BORN in 1986 - and my initial reaction was "punk kid" - until I realized that that "kid" was 23!

Yikes.

Now, my cousin Sarah and I are pretty close. I don't regard her as a "little cousin" (even though it is her mother and I who are actually cousins). She's more like a baby sister to me. But thinking about that Facebook post had me digging through photo albums.

Beyond the fact that I'm glad the fashions from the '80s are long gone (at least from MY wardrobe - no way any designer can trick me into wearing that stuff again) and that my hair will NEVER be that large again, I came across a picture that made me realize that I am older than I thought.

Only for you, dear readers, do I post THIS:



Yes, those are my bangs that are standing up. I found another picture, and I think they were a good 3 inches long. Impressive hairspray, no? Now, if you look closely at the photo, the cutie on the far right is none other than Miss PRSarahEvans, Twitter and social media queen. I don't know how old she is in the picture - I'm a freshman in college - but for the sake of ego I'm going to say she is a very young looking 16?

Maybe not.


So, I guess it is true - you ARE only as old as you feel, because in no way can I be THIS much older than her.


As I my email signature reads:
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO - what a ride!'"


I'm going to go have another glass of red wine for my heart with a piece of dark chocolate for my cholesterol, and roll around on the floor with my kids playing tickle monster. I've got a ways to go before I'm used up!

No comments: